Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Jimaní and Fond Verrettes

Jimaní and Fond Verrettes are two towns in Hispaniola, close to the Dominican - Haitian border. Both were severely affected by the intense raining during the weekend. More than 500 have died because of the floodings, and even more have lost their homes.

I have seen images of packed dead bodies, adults and children, so horrifying that I wouldn't have the guts to publish them here.

Yes, those people died because of a storm, but more than this, they died so terrible deads because they were extremely poor.

I have never wanted to write about political issues here. But sometimes I just feel so tired of this unfair, stupid, fractal iniquity that repeats its pattern all around this world and in every possible scale! Things only change when the ones that have the power to abuse others elect instead to extend their helping hands. And this seldom happens.

Updated Thursday, May 27, 2004 at 14:48:

According to Reuters and The New York Times, the death toll rises to 2000 after the discovery of 1000 bodies in a remote Haitian village called Mapou.

No comments:

Moving to MSDN

I haven't decided yet, but it is very likely that I will stop blogging here for some time. For some background, I have moved to the sate...