Sunday, September 09, 2007

Entity Coupling Service another name for Composable Data Service

Mats Helander apparently explores the same subject of "composable data services" in his post, although he seems to arrive from a different venue as Alex.

For me it smells more and more like Astoria + "Aggregation" (not that Astoria doesn't plan to support composition or aggregation, this I am not sure of).

I noticed that in some comments to that post, Udi expresses his opposition. I am not sure he opposes the entity services Mats refer to, or the idea of aggregating multiple data sources. I wish he explained his stance in more detail. Mats explanation of Entity services makes me believe the refers to services that only handle a single kind of entity each, which to my intuition sounds like exaggeratedly granular.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog post might give you the information you're looking for as to why I'm against entity services:

http://udidahan.weblogs.us/2007/06/08/entity-services-rollup/

Diego said...

Udi, your link is very much appreciated! I will next read your article in The Architecture Journal.

Anonymous said...

I agree completely that there would be a lot of room for reuse in the coupling services - perhaps not only between entities (such that one service could couple many entities in a system) but even that such a service could be written in a generic, configuration driven way and be reused between systems.

/Mats

Moving to MSDN

I haven't decided yet, but it is very likely that I will stop blogging here for some time. For some background, I have moved to the sate...