Friday, April 23, 2004

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments

UPDATED ON 11/09/2005: The original link to the html version does not work anymore. I updated it and now points to the PDF version.


I am so happy to announce I was able to found the link to the Psychology paper about how Jerks are often stupid that I mentioned in the Arrogance vs. Stupidity discussion in Channel 9. I am going to post it right now there!

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments

If you haven't yet, read it. It is such a piece!

By the way, Scoble also posted in the discussion his view of arrogance as a matter of personal history, which I think is very down to the point:

The problem with arrogance is that just because you were right yesterday doesn't mean you'll be right tomorrow.

"The bigger they are, the harder they fall."


I also want to quote these two old Chris Sells blog entries as examples of a rightfull arrogant who is also full of arrogance antibodies:

I had an interesting insight while watching Episode II: Attack of the Clones (I had a hankering to see Yoda kick some butt, OK?!?). The definition of expert is someone that just does whatever it is they do; they don't think about it. Everyone else is just learning. What drove this home for me was when Anakin heard of his mother being taken and how everyone else had failed or died looking for her, Anakin started out after her without any planning whatsoever. *That's* an expert. Of course, he had The Force and the rest of us have to live with an average amount of midichlorian, but he'd done what I've seen other experts do, too: unconscious competence.

Moving to MSDN

I haven't decided yet, but it is very likely that I will stop blogging here for some time. For some background, I have moved to the sate...