Sunday, July 24, 2005

A Little of Feedback for Virtual Earth

UPDATE: After playing with it a little, I see some of my feedback is irrelevant. For instance, the scratchpad serves as a link collection (I don't know if you can persist it).
UPDATE 2: I am ashamed. I wish my English was better, and that I had enough time to correct this a little bit. I tend to correct my posts a few days after.


Just a few crazy ideas I am filling on VirtualEarth feedback forms:

What do you like about this design for Virtual Earth?

  • The general look is good. Labels, signs, panes, and the images themselves look great.
  • Mouse wheel support rocks!

What can we improve about this design for Virtual Earth?

  • I would like to have the option to see planet Earth as a globe instead of the projection, but this is impossible to implemente on DHTML, isn't it?
  • I would like to be able to search for a place based on cordinates.
  • I would like to be able to enter my exact cordinates in "Locate me" and maybe save a cookie.
  • Then I would like the "Locate me" button to change to a split button/drop-down, labeled "My locations", so I can go to my location on a single click.
  • Further, itegration with Passport should bring the ability to persist multiple preset locations to a server database.

What kinds of information would you like to see on Virtual Earth?

  • I would like it to be very extensible. For instance I would like to be able to subscribe to some kind of location web services or xml file, the same way today you subscribe to an RSS feeds on an aggregator.
  • Then any website could publish a geocoded file or web service (in case there are too many points to map), for instance, for its branch offices, or whatever makes sense to put on a map.
  • Ideally those points should be taken and rendered at the browser.
  • This could help information from other sources to be added to the map. For instance, blogs from FeedMap.
  • Going even further, integration with passport should allow some of those geocoding feeds to be saved on a server, for later display.
  • I could even like seeing the current location of my MSN contacts.

Anything else you'd like to tell us?

  • I am impressed with Virtual Earth. However, it is a little sad that in this first iteration the zoom levels for most cities I have lived in, are even poorer that on Google Maps, Google Earth or NASA's World Wind.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I'll pass that along.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback.

Diego said...

Thanks to you! Just the fact that you came and read my feedback here is very impressive.

Diego said...

So you invented the feedmap?

Moving to MSDN

I haven't decided yet, but it is very likely that I will stop blogging here for some time. For some background, I have moved to the sate...