Thursday, December 14, 2006

Broken Windows (Part 1)

Today at work, someone I respect much told me that I write very well (in Spanish) and that I am both inspiring and motivating to others. She also said that those were very rare features in a developer.

Seldom I have been aware of this. Actually I believe that the real underlying fact is that I cannot go to work every morning if I am bored of it and I don't feel at ease. I think I could not keep a boring job for a week, just for the money. So, when I am becoming bored, I have to do whatever it takes to make it fun again. People that see me, understand very quickly that I work for the fun, and that I love what I do. I don't know for sure, but when I see someone that seems to love what she or he does, it helps me keep my own fire alive.

During Tuesday afternoon, I talked on the phone with a very special group of people. Now I wish i could have a second chance to tell them:

See guys? Someone I work with thinks I am inspiring and motivating! John? Are you there? At least you have my blog address... :)

Well, the writing my office mate was referring to is an email I wrote to many developers in our organization about a rather basic topic that we needed to reinforce. I have been involved a lot in code quality initiatives lately. I need to translate the text in order to publish it, so please wait until my next post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diego - thanks for the honesty. I truly believe we don't take enough time in this busy world to complement each other when it is warranted. I read an article this weekend (NY Times I think?) about people having an "overinflated" sense of themselves. I have never felt that way :-( but fascinating to think that's how everyone views themselves. Anyway thanks for visiting my blog and making me aware of yours.

Diego said...

You probably heard already of the "Unskilled and Unaware of It" paper: http://gagne.homedns.org/~tgagne/contrib/unskilled.html.

Moving to MSDN

I haven't decided yet, but it is very likely that I will stop blogging here for some time. For some background, I have moved to the sate...