Friday, November 04, 2005

MSDN Product Feedback is Really Working!

Have you ever get your bugs or suggestions fully addressed by Microsoft? I think I can count the times with the fingers of my knee... But that is until today. Take a look at this:
Opened by Diego on 2005-10-07 at 08:45:27

Recurrent crashes discourage developers of sending crash information every time. Also under certain configurations, the "watson" tool cannot contact Microsoft servers. This way, Microsoft is not getting actual metrics of crash occurrence.

Proposed Solution:

Make it possible to send a lighter crash report. Maybe try to identify if a recurrent problem so if the second time does not provide additional information, only send the "light" version. Also, solve the circumstance in which sending crash data does not work through a firewall (I have not isolated the reason, but in my office some computers can send the reports and some say they cannot reach Microsoft servers).

Edited by Microsoft on 2005-10-07 at 13:34:16

Hi Diego - I have opened a bug against the Watson team for them to consider your feedback.Thanks!Aaron BrethorstVS Platform

Edited by Microsoft on 2005-10-13 at 13:42:16

Hi Diego - I just received resolution on this issue from the Windows team that owns this. Here's what they said:In [Windows Vista] Beta 2 the crash reporting experience for VS will be improved. We will send the most lightweight report possible which does check for recurrent problems. Additionally we queue reports for later if connectivity cannot be established at the time of the report. Additionally users will have the option during install whether to automatically send or not.

Edited by Diego on 2005-11-04 at 19:46:32

Great, I think this covers everything I asked for! Was this really my idea or what?
I swear… I find the sensation very strange...

No comments:

Moving to MSDN

I haven't decided yet, but it is very likely that I will stop blogging here for some time. For some background, I have moved to the sate...